Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yeasayer

On Tuesday night we went to see Yeasayer in the Music Hall of Williamsburg.


They were simply amazing.


I've been listening to Yeasayer for about 2-3 years now - ever since our friend Ian introduced us to their first album (All Hour Cymbals), and we saw them open at Central Park Summerstage, for The National, another favorite.


If you were to give me their new album, Odd Blood, and it was the first that I had ever heard of the band, I don't know if I would like it... In fact, I don't think I liked their first album the first time I heard it. But, given time - a couple of listens - their brilliance becomes clear: the complex layering of instruments and effects, the unique voices and harmonies, the opaque, mind-bending lyrics. There's just nothing else like them at the moment.


I think of them as being carrolesque, if that makes sense... which brings me to something else I am very, very excited about...


Matt Lucas as Tweedledee and Tweedledum? Pure genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment