Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Adventures in CSA-ing: Episode 1

Today we collected our first batch of fruit and veg from our local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). I even volunteered at the stand! And contrary to expectations, it wasn't all swiss chard! We got: a small bag of snow peas (mangetout), a bunch of kale, a bunch of the most amazing rocket/arugula I've ever tasted, a bunch of swiss chard (of course), a head of lettuce, a bunch of spring onions, a little pot of planted coriander/cilantro and chives, 3 garlic scapes and a large punnet of incredibly tasty strawberries. Stwawbewwies! Of all of that, the garlic scapes were the one thing I had never come across before. Garlic Scrapes A quick google led me to a pesto recipe and another to one that combined both the scapes and the arugula. All in the bowl Super easy. Garlic Scrap and Rocket Pesto And super tasty. I just cooked up some fusilli and stirred the pesto in. We ate it with the mangetout, blanched and tossed in butter, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Yum. Dinner! A quick search of smitten kitchen also led me to this very quick and easy strawberry cake. Did I mention yum? mmmmm Jammy Did I say yum?! All in all, a pretty successful first CSA share I think. Well, as long as I come up with something to do with that swiss chard!

1 comment: