Sunday, March 28, 2010

North of the Border

We're just back from a fairly tiring and work-filled week in Toronto that was made all the more fun by the company of antipodean friends and others from across the pond. It was my second time in Toronto, and I still didn't make it up into the CN tower, and instead have to make do with a photograph from the ground.


We spent a wonderful evening with Simon's uncle and aunt, who treated us to a fantastically tasty Indian meal at Nataraj (Bloor Street West near Brunswick). We were joined by Simon's cousin, whom he hadn't seen since they were 10! We spent another great night in a microbrew bar called C'est What, on Front Street, near Church.

While I had a great time in Toronto, perhaps the best part of our journey was the flight back to New York. It was a crystal-clear night and the sodium streetlight landscape was breathtaking. The view of the city as we circled to get in line for landing in La Guardia was better than any tourist helicopter ride could ever provide - the city buildings shone and sparked and the streets flowed with the lava of car headlights. I was gutted not to have my camera. There's just no leaving New York, as the song goes.


In the crafty realm, we have five pairs of friends who are getting married and at least five friends who are having babies this year! So I need to get my skates on... I spent the past few weeks ordering several tons of fabric (Simon was gobsmacked at all the packages coming to the door!), and have just started to get cracking. Above is the wool for a snug baby hoodie (see my ravelry projects on the right) and the beginnings of New Wave Quilt, the pattern for which comes from the incredibly creative and generous Elizabeth of Oh Fransson! And I'm slowly-but-surely nearing completion with Molly's cardigan, using the cover pattern from this book - I just hope it'll fit, seeing as I intended to finish it several months ago!

2 comments:

  1. 'Gobsmacked'?! I love it. I need to create a context in which I can use that, with your permission, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh, of course!! I had never thought about it before but I suppose it must be a british word/term... I found a good explanation of it here

    ReplyDelete