Saturday, May 1, 2010

Block printing, attempt 1

A mess, a punctured and bloody finger, sore shoulders (from the carving) and several hours of a Saturday morning produced two relatively pleasing looking owls.
The printed versions weren't quite as pleasing. I just couldn't seem to get the amount and distribution of the ink right. The cards are also too small. But as my very first attempt at block printing, I don't think they turned out too bad - not bad, but not great either.
I followed Lizzy House's lovely tutorial, although I don't think I followed it that closely, because I thought "Well, how difficult can it be?" Rather difficult, apparently! I also wish I was more artistically talented... I picture something in my head - I know what I want to draw - but when I put pencil to paper, it doesn't look as it should. Something I can work on, no doubt, but I do wish I had some of that natural artistic ability!

Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Don't lose patience. It usually doesn't work on first try. It never does for me, at least. Try different papers, maybe and different colors. And maybe a printed background, as well (for one of my projects I just rolled the rolly-thing used to put the color on the carved block across my cards to create an uneven background and it made the print look a lot better). The owls themselves look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julia! I really appreciate the encouragement :) Thanks so much for taking the time to stop in and comment!

    ReplyDelete