Sunday, March 27, 2011

fourteen | Bircher Muesli

Our new favorite thing to eat for breakfast at the weekend is bircher muesli. Now, there seem to be many recipes for bircher muesli out there on the internets, but what I've been making is based on what we had in the house of a Swiss friend... and seeing as it is a Swiss thing, I'm going to go with stick with her version (or at least, my bastardised version of it)! I think the main difference is that all the versions I have read include soaked oats, but I just include some toasted dry ones.
DSC_0221
I never really measure things properly, and this is certainly something that can be pulled together without much regard for measurement. Basically, to make enough for two people, coarsely grate one large apple (I've been using Fuji apples), and squeeze half a lemon over the gratings.
Coarsely grated apple
Lemon squeezy
Toast about a handful of slivered (thinly sliced) almonds and a handful of porridge oats. Mix a teaspoonful of honey and about four heaping tablespoons of yogurt (I've been using Fage 2% Greek yogurt) together with the apple and lemon and add the toasted nuts and almonds.
mmmm... toasted almonds
yogurt and honey - a perfect pair!
You can also mix in any other fresh fruit that takes your fancy like strawberries, banana, blueberries and so on... I've been adding segments of clementine.
YUM!
Yum!

1 comment:

  1. every morning??? phew!
    Luca's gourmet breakfast of toast and readbreak with blueberry mush has me in enough of a sweat every morning. I drink tea and eat his crusts!
    x

    ReplyDelete