Monday, July 12, 2010

V: Homemade Peppermint Deodorant = Tingly Cool Underarm Awesomeness

I love angry chicken's blog... I am so envious of her sense of style and many creative talents. I also really admire her efforts to make natural alternatives to everyday products, and I was immediately drawn to her recipe for homemade deodorant.

Now I should say that I am a very very sweaty person, as is my darling husband. Since coming to the US, neither of us has really had any luck identifying a deodorant that actually works well, so smelly pits have been a permanent problem (ew!).

I am not exaggerating when I say all of our problems have been solved by this homemade stuff! Of course, it will not stop you from sweating, but it does stop the stink... even after hauling our new air conditioner home on the subway and up our 5 flights of stairs. It doesn't stain. It is the business. The fact that it's all natural is a bonus!
I basically followed Amy's directions to the letter, including ordering my ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs. I didn't shop around, so there may be cheaper alternatives. The only substitution I made was that I bought a little bottle of Vitamin E oil in Trader Joes - I added about a tablespoonful. The unrefined shea and cocoa butters have a rather strong smell that isn't all that pleasant, so you need quite a lot of essential oil. For the first batch, I tried bergamot and sweet orange essential oils, but it was altogether too orangey. For the latest batch, I used peppermint - it has a delightful tingly cooling sensation when you put it on. I've also made a lavender batch. I really cannot recommend this stuff enough, and I swear it's not just for hippies!

Update (29th July 2010): Unfortunately a couple of people have reported getting a rash from the homemade deodorant... I'm going to try and work out what the source is (the essential oil, perhaps??) and will post another update if I do. I think that I did get a slight rash, but the effectiveness of the deodorant far outweighed the discomfort of the rash, so I persevered and it seems to be gone now. Please let me know how it worked out if you tried it yourself!

2 comments:

  1. I'm on day 4 of the lavender batch and it's working a treat - huge thanks for the free sample! depending on how my free time is looking after b-day I might give the recipe a go myself (wishful thinking?). just had a thought, if you are ever looking for essential oils to test out on new recipes I have a big selection of nearly past their best oils that I took to Chad with me (oops - that was nearly 3 years ago so they're proabably well past their best). anyway, you're welcome to use any that might come in handy - those little bottles look small but I never seem to make much of a dent in them. C x

    ps next time I see you I'd love your advice on sewing machines for complete beginners. your quilts are very inspiring, and I figure what I lack in creativity I might make up for in geometric skills... as long as the lines are straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire!! So sorry for the delay in getting back to you.. the days just fly by, I can't believe it's Thursday already!
    This week I'm going to start investigating the source of the rash... perhaps try some different ingredients. I think that we both got it a little bit but the effectiveness of the deodorant outweighs the rash so we just ignored it.. I think it's gone away now!

    About the sewing machine, here is the one I have... I would really recommend it - I haven't had any trouble with it at all, apart from when I started first and I just didn't know what I was doing - but I can help you out a bit when you get it if you like...It has very positive reviews on amazon too.

    Geometric skills (and fastidiousness) are priceless when it comes to sewing!! I often wish I was more careful - things always come out better when you've paid more attention to the straightness of your lines - but I find it surprisingly hard to sew in a straight line!! I think you'll probably like the blog I keep linking to - Oh Fransson - Elizabeth is a paragon of precision!

    ReplyDelete